Quick Plug-in charging system problem

Faults and Technical chat for the Honda E
iHansz

Post by iHansz »

milligoon wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 12:04 pm Honda should be contacting owners with guidance on this issue and what they intend to do about it, when the car came out it was stated that they could accept 100kW charge which they clearly don't, should that have read we can only use up to 100 kW DC chargers? I know that there can be components that can fail in anything but we need to know where we stand as owners when having issues with DC fast charging, this after all is Honda's first mass produced EV they could have a design flaw.

Maybe worth us getting onto our dealerships with our concerns?
In Norway I used DC chargers every day and they also contained more than 100 kW, in the Netherlands I often use 350 kW chargers (FastNed), so that should not matter. Why Honda (but also Mazda with the MX30) now indicates that 50 kW charging is the maximum, has to do with the life span of the battery, I think. Reducing the charging power extends the life of the battery. Must have been Panasonic's advice. But that is all my interpretation. ;)
Dutch Advance in Charge Yellow on 17"
1st registered Oct 2020
Home charger: public charging stations only

Taskinen

Post by Taskinen »

milligoon wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 12:04 pm Honda should be contacting owners with guidance on this issue and what they intend to do about it, when the car came out it was stated that they could accept 100kW charge which they clearly don't, should that have read we can only use up to 100 kW DC chargers? I know that there can be components that can fail in anything but we need to know where we stand as owners when having issues with DC fast charging, this after all is Honda's first mass produced EV they could have a design flaw.

Maybe worth us getting onto our dealerships with our concerns?
I have charged my Honda e successfully with a 350 kW Ionity, although the car only took 48 kW max at 20-30% SoC, and then dropped to 40 kW and then finally to 30 kW until SoC 70%.

I don't think that using high power chargers is causing the problem itself. It is something to do with either software compatibility betwern the charger and the car, or just failing component in the car.
Omniv

Post by Omniv »

Taskinen wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 1:13 pm Hello, long time reader, first time poster here.

December 2020 Honda e Advance. 13000 km driven. Imported from Germany to Finland on December 2021.

12 Volt battery replaced once on January 2022. Was not able to hold charge, and car was not able to start without a jump cables with a booster. Now with the new battery, only had the issue once after leaving the car on Accessory-mode for too long. Otherwise has been flawless.

I have been mostly charging slowly on AC, but doing fast DC charging 4-6 times before successfully. Yesterday I was charging with a 250 kW Kempower DC fast charger for 31 minutes, everything was going smoothly, car was charging as expected (30-40 kW), but when I stopped the charging with a mobile app the charge lid lights started blinking red (or orange?) rapidly. I disconnected the charging cable and thought "weird, I don't remember seeing that color before". I entered the car and started it up, immediately the following errors appeared:

- Power System Problem. Power may be reduced.
- Quick Plug-in charging system problem. Standard charging is available.

PXL_20220708_233143764.jpg

PXL_20220708_233138822.jpg

Car was running smoothly, power seemed normal. I tried several restarts, but the errors stayed.

I arrived home and connected the slow AC home charger. Car started charging normally.

The errors are still present today morning. I tried the following:

- Check fuse number 20 (10A fuse labeled "Quick charge system" from the driver's side), it was OK.
- Disconnected the 12 Volt battery briefly, somehow hoping that it would clear/reset the errors.
- Checked the Self Diagnostics Menu, but nothing was showing errors there. The "Error Codes" button is yellow though, I'm not sure if it's normally that color. But the error codes page does not show anything. Pressing the Clear button there does not do anything.

The owner's manual says that if those two errors appear simultaneously, contact service. If only the "Quick charge problem" appears, then it's something to do with the charger, and it recommends trying a different charger.

I have not yet tried DC fast charging again. Maybe I will do that today.

Any tips? I will contact Honda service on Monday if this will not resolve.

Well well well !!!
I have this exact same problem, charged my Honda e on 250 Kwh rapid charger (Fortum charge& drive charger) in Helsinki this friday!!!
The charging went smoothly and i did not notice anything out of the ordinary but after I disconnected the charger and turned my car on I have had this same problem.
To see this same problem here today I think that those 250 chargers will break our poor Honda e's :(
Luckily I have still warranty time left and I plan on calling my local Honda dealer first thing in the morning tomorrow.
Taskinen

Post by Taskinen »

Omniv wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 1:59 pm Well well well !!!
I have this exact same problem, charged my Honda e on 250 Kwh rapid charger (Fortum charge& drive charger) in Helsinki this friday!!!
The charging went smoothly and i did not notice anything out of the ordinary but after I disconnected the charger and turned my car on I have had this same problem.
To see this same problem here today I think that those 250 chargers will break our poor Honda e's :(
Luckily I have still warranty time left and I plan on calling my local Honda dealer first thing in the morning tomorrow.
Oh wow! My charger was also a Fortum Charge & Drive, but a Kempower 250 kW unit. I don't know if Fortum's chargers are all Kempowers. Do you remember what brand unit you were using?

This is a picture couple of seconds before the fault:

PXL_20220708_220105915.jpg

It was not in Helsinki, but in Tuulos (Hämeenlinna). This happened on last Saturday 1am.
Omniv

Post by Omniv »

It was a Kempower unit but I have charged on 80Kwh Kempower chargers here regurarly so this incident is a real bummer and I am extremely annoyed.
Taskinen

Post by Taskinen »

Omniv wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 2:28 pm It was a Kempower unit but I have charged on 80Kwh Kempower chargers here regurarly so this incident is a real bummer and I am extremely annoyed.
I have thought that Kempower chargers must be one of the best ones out there. Finnish quality :)

Very interesting. I will also call Honda service tomorrow morning. Please keep this message topic up to date what you hear.

I don't know, if we should ask Kempower also about this?
Omniv

Post by Omniv »

I just sent email about this problem to Kempower and Recharge infra (manufacturer and operator)
Taskinen

Post by Taskinen »

Omniv wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:00 pm I just sent email about this problem to Kempower and Recharge infra (manufacturer and operator)
Alright, interesting to know what they say. I'll contact them as well.

I just reserved a repair timeslot for my Honda e at the local shop at Tampere for next Wednesday.
Taskinen

Post by Taskinen »

Omniv wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 2:28 pm It was a Kempower unit but I have charged on 80Kwh Kempower chargers here regurarly so this incident is a real bummer and I am extremely annoyed.
By the way, have you charged at the same 250 kW Kempower before successfully without faults?
Omniv

Post by Omniv »

Nope that was the first time on 250Kwh, this will be an interesting investment, the operator replied that they will start investigating this, so I suggest that you mail them too asap :)

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post