October Energy Price cap

All Honda E related discussions
FMIB

Post by FMIB »

I think the electric car bubble just burst, especially with further significant predicted increases coming in Jan/April 2023
With the price for electricity rising to 52p/kw + a daily standing charge of 46p, if you dont have a viable low cost overnight tariff, it looks like it may be as cheaper to run an efficient hybrid car or any small car that exceeds 50mpg

Parker87

Post by Parker87 »

Sadly, yes - but let's not forget that we'd be paying the daily standing charge anyway for normal domestic apparatus AND we're doing our bit to sustain the Planet.
EEEE

Post by EEEE »

I renewed my octopus tariff the other week (its been a year since I got the E).

If you go for the 'go' package, the 4hr night rate is going up from 5p to 7.5p/unit which isn't so bad.
'21 e Advance - Charge Yellow - E1702RR alloys
'17 Civic Sport CVT
'00 Prelude 2.2VTi
FMIB

Post by FMIB »

I do very few miles and it makes no financial sense to get a dual rate tariff as any dual rate peak tariff from Oct would be crippling for us as the cost of charging the car does not offset the higher peak rates.

It will be even more of a shock for those that rely on public chargers.

I must admit, I am seriously considering a change based on the current resale value of the e
Parker87

Post by Parker87 »

Like you FMIB, I do relatively few miles (maybe 5k p.a.) so I'd have the same issue with the Go tariff peak rates. Also, I haven't invested in a Home Charger as the granny cable does the job well enough for me. It'd be sad if you decided to sell the e but it's understandable I suppose. Unfortunately, the resale value of electric cars in general may take a hit from these utility price hikes but I guess it remains to be seen which fuel turns out to be the more expensive
in the future - electricity or petroleum products.
CHags

Post by CHags »

EEEE wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 7:48 am I renewed my octopus tariff the other week (its been a year since I got the E).

If you go for the 'go' package, the 4hr night rate is going up from 5p to 7.5p/unit which isn't so bad.
We've just moved onto this tariff as well, locked in for 12 months. 7pish at night and about 40p in the day i think? Works out about break even right now (compared to the day and night rate we'd gone up to previously which was about 30p) but will be beneficial if the standard day rate goes any higher.

Although I've got no plans to sell the e, we were thinking of replacing our petrol family car for an electric car but going to hold fire now give the ongoing issues with supply and pricing. We use the e for everything apart from long journeys (and even then I'm willing to do it if it's just one stop).

As others have said, it will be interesting to see what happens to the electric car market in the next 6-12 months.
FMIB

Post by FMIB »

A useful spread sheet in this video comparing costs, which agrees with the quick cost calculation I did this morning

Since my e has averaged only 3.1 miles/Kwh over 12 months of ownership it not proved to be at the more efficient end of the spectrum. (Winter is sub 3)
A hybrid that achieves ca 55mpg would already have a slightly lower cost per mile.
Looking at a projected 30% and 14% increase in Jan and April respectively and the expected hike in public charger costs, the next couple of years of EV ownership will be challenging for some people.
5thcivic

Post by 5thcivic »

I do too few miles to warrant a night time rate since the E is a second car. I intend to keep it till it falls down in repair costs I think so resale is not on the cards. I have sold the Civic though, and the new Civic is just too much bigger (an increase of unneccessary 30cm in length) so have gone for the Jazz instead due on the 1st. It should be a good 60mpg up to 60mph easily so will be interesting to calculate the difference come January when another increase is on the cards by the look of it. But petrol prices might just go mad again as well.
FMIB

Post by FMIB »

Interesting you went for a Jazz as I was looking at them yesterday.
Many moons ago I had the original Mk1 Jazz and it did its job as a city car very well. The practicality though was incredible.
I did a quick test-drive and the new model was surprisingly good around town with the new hybrid drivetrain, but the engine intrusion was still there, but only really when you mash the pedal to the floor. It does not ride as well as the e, nor was it as quick or fun to drive, but 60mpg+ seems to be an easy reality.
The trade in value would make a lot of financial sense with a chuck of cash being returned to my bank account.
My main car is a Volvo XC90, so my second car is mainly used for short in and out of town trips and low running costs for this car is my priority.
Needs some further thought, as a decision will need to be made one way or the other.
5thcivic

Post by 5thcivic »

I did several drives and found it not too far from the E, very quiet and refined, a good stab at big car feel. I too was worried about the engine noise, it was non existent around town. Driving on the dual carriageway and slowing down to 20 or 30 and then flooring it was the same as any CVT gearbox and not as bad as most. Honda have put artificial gaps in the sound that mimic the gear changes in an automatic. For the number of times I would actually drive like that it is an acceptable compromise for the mpg. Honda reckon a large efficiency increase due to not having a gearbox. I think the hybrid system is very clever indeed if you look at the "how the parts work" videos. The space and magic seats remain class leading as always. I would have gone for the Ionique 5 for the cabin, but it is as large as the new Civic and I don't think Hyundai has the equivalent reputation for reliability yet, and you might still have some range anxiety on a long trip.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post