Fault code scanners

Faults and Technical chat for the Honda E
Benji

Post by Benji »

I was wondering if all Honda-compatible scan tools still work on the e for regular functions such as ABS, window calibration, and basic fault codes that are not related to the high-voltage system. Has anyone tried using them? I wouldn't want to consider purchasing a scan tool without knowing its supported features.

I'm the kind of person who prefers to have control over my own belongings. If I have a broken sensor, I don't want to rely on the dealer. With a well-functioning scan tool, I can handle it myself.

Wee Peem

Post by Wee Peem »

I quite agree with you especially if say the "broken sensor" is fixable with a bit of superglue or a quick dab with a soldering iron. Anything to avoid the exorbitant prices dealers can charge.
FDAD

Post by FDAD »

The Old Honda HDS tool can read almost everything from the E.
Honda E advance [Modern Steel Metallic] 8-) [DELIVERED JULY 2020] - 85 000Kms + ✌️🎂
Reuben80

Post by Reuben80 »

FDAD wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 10:06 am The Old Honda HDS tool can read almost everything from the E.
Do you have any links please?
EEEE

Post by EEEE »

I *had* to buy a scan tool recently to, would you believe it, fix the brakes in the civic. Long story which I'll spare you the details of. Further reading for people that like to twiddle spanners:
https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/uk ... xed.81249/

Out of interest, I plugged it into the e and looked around. I was able to run the same ABS and ESP valve actuations, turn on the headlights, window calibration etc. I was even able to make the headlights go up and down which isn't something I could do physically.

The tool was an iCarSoft CR Max. About 350quid. It's an old android touchscreen but worked well enough and an acceptable investment given the number of cars I end up fiddling with.

Was very surprised when it fixed the civic brake issue...

Even more surprised to find 3 historic faults in the e. First was rain sensor disconnection, I assume when the dash cam was fitted. Second error was the passenger airbag override switch had been disconnected in the past. No idea why...

3rd was low voltage on the power steering system, probably when the battery went flat.

All cleared and no longer present.

The tool allowed me to see the voltage of every pair of 48 cells, several temperatures, and lots and lots of details about the battery pack, current draw, DC to DC draw and much more.

Some scary options for HV battery replacement and ECU replacement, didn't fiddle with those.

If anyone has an issue and is local to Oxfordshire you're more than welcome to come and have a play around with it to decide if it will fix your issue etc. Compare and contrast etc...
'21 e Advance - Charge Yellow - E1702RR alloys
'17 Civic Sport CVT
'00 Prelude 2.2VTi
asjo

Post by asjo »

Any option to turn on the rear lights automatically with the running lights, by any chance? :-)
EEEE

Post by EEEE »

Didn't see an option for that
'17 Civic Sport CVT
'00 Prelude 2.2VTi
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

Thanks for that info, I was under the impression that we needed the official Honda Diagnostic Tool (HDS) at around £3k.

I had a look at the iCarSoft range and that is the best one in their range that enables access to the most ‘service’ functions.

I’m really tempted to buy one because my car is in for it’s 3rd service in a couple of weeks and it’d be good to check the stealer has actually resolved the logged issues on the car. Also my drivers door window needs calibrating because it still doesn’t close properly but hopefully it’ll eventually fixed at service time now that I’ve sent in a written complaint to their head office about it.

£350 is expensive but it’s only the price of a year 3 service 😮, we have a couple of VAG cars in the household so useful for them anyway and any other cars we buy.
I currently use an iPhone app with a Bluetooth Vgate vLinker MC interface and that works perfectly well on the VW Tiguan and Seat Leon, reading and resetting any codes.
2020 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

@EEEE I would really appreciate a printout of the Honda e information the next time you plug it in, especially the battery cell details.
2020 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
EEEE

Post by EEEE »

Hmm, not sure how I can get data off the device as it has no app store and no external storage (unless the mini usb could support some storage)... It has a browser actually so I can probably log in and upload direct to the site even thought he browser will be ancient. It has YouTube on it aswell lol.

Should our paths cross I can make it available. I'm off to Bicester Heritage site on the 2nd September for the 80s/90s car event (either in the prelude or if the weather is good an '86 Merc 560SL). You could bring the beat!
'17 Civic Sport CVT
'00 Prelude 2.2VTi