Ambient temperature mystery

Faults and Technical chat for the Honda E
ZeroEmissionRequiem

Post by ZeroEmissionRequiem »

I park in an underground garage at home, and while it's not actively heated, it tends to stay between 7-15 °C depending on season. Normally, the Honda show's a realistic ambient temperature when I start it in the morning.

Today, weirdly, it warned me of possible ice and gave me an ambient temperature of just 2°C. That should be impossible since it's more than 10°C in the garage and it was parked there overnight. However, the actual temperature this morning outside was about 2°C, but the car should have no way of knowing that...right?

I'm in Finland and the eSIM remains unactivated, so presumably my car doesn't have an internet connection.
2022 e Advance

EEEE

Post by EEEE »

We're you running pre heat at all? The rad/aircon fan could have been activating and drawing in air from around the front of the vehicle, perhaps drawing in some frosty air?

I can't say that I've ever thought the value was wrong at any point.
'21 e Advance - Charge Yellow - E1702RR alloys
'17 Civic Sport CVT
'00 Prelude 2.2VTi
ZeroEmissionRequiem

I was indeed running pre-heat, but it has never been that cold in there, and my car is about 70 meters from the garage door. The lowest reading I've seen was 7°C, in a previous car one morning, but that was during winter when it was something like -20°C outside.
2022 e Advance
EEEE

Post by EEEE »

was it 2 degrees outside when you parked up? My guess is that perhaps it was warning you about a an old temperature that was logged at shut down (some kind of software glitch).

Did it eventually rise to 10 before you set off?

I think the temp sensor is behind the front bumper near the cooling rad. Could it have had a clump of snow/ice around it?
'21 e Advance - Charge Yellow - E1702RR alloys
'17 Civic Sport CVT
'00 Prelude 2.2VTi
hondaero

Post by hondaero »

i'm seeing the same weird behaviour of temp sensor - few degrees below reality most of time and lazy updates when you change temp conditions.
in my case it is NOT related to pre-heating.

i'll keep monitoring it and ask to be verified when in workshop.

hth,
~amo~
2023 Honda e Red Advance on 16" Michelin 195/55 & 205/55 tyres.
ZeroEmissionRequiem

EEEE wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 6:43 am was it 2 degrees outside when you parked up? My guess is that perhaps it was warning you about a an old temperature that was logged at shut down (some kind of software glitch).

Did it eventually rise to 10 before you set off?

I think the temp sensor is behind the front bumper near the cooling rad. Could it have had a clump of snow/ice around it?
No snow or ice here yet. Not sure of the outside temps when entering the garage, and I haven't really paid attention to what the ambient temp reading is when I park the car. Guess I could try to do that...but it takes less than a minute to drive from the door to my spot & park, and presumably that's not enough time for it to react to the change in temperature anyway.

IMG_20231021_114628s.jpg

On most startups it has showed the real garage temperature as expected; 11°C on the last few days, while it's been 0 to 5°C outside. However, a couple of days ago it again stated 3°C on startup. The reading did not start to rise as I was driving through the garage, nor did it change when I went outside...but it was around 3°C outside at the time. I think it has done this a few times now, and it has happened on both pre-conditioned and "cold" starts.

Really weird, this.

EDIT: A few days ago it showed 0°C in the garage, but it was 8°C outside. As I drove out, the indicated temperature started climbing until it reached the actual ambient temperature.
2022 e Advance

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post