Dashcam set up - recommendations please

All Honda E related discussions
tencherman

Post by tencherman »

I've had dashcams set up in our previous vehicles after Mrs tencherman was rear-ended (whilst stationary in traffic) by a motorcyclist whose insurers then attempted to blame her. Our e has been operating for a year sans any recording device now and it is making me nervous - particulalrly since we drive in and around Londinium Town where the majority of crazies seem to operate.
I would value advice (based on personal experience only please) from those who have done the hard yards already and, since fitment is beyond my rudimentary mechanical/electrical abilities, recommendations on expert fitters too, please.

My criteria are pretty basic:

1. high quality video recording - especially at night/low light
2. ease of use
3. ease of upload
4. independent power source (to avoid depletion of 12v battery) unless Principal Battery Unit can be used?

I did consider Honda's own dashcam but the examples of video quality were pretty sub-par and for the Honda price I thought better would be available in the aftermarket.

Fingers crossed!

EEEE

Post by EEEE »

I can confirm the honda supplied unit is rubbish video quality. Only after reviewing it recently I thought I might actually change it.
'21 e Advance - Charge Yellow - E1702RR alloys
'17 Civic Sport CVT
'00 Prelude 2.2VTi
Verone

Post by Verone »

I use a Garmin Mini 2 mounted center screen below the rear view mirror housing. Cable runs up through it, around the roof line at the top of the windshield to the left A Pillar (LHD), then down to the OBD port (on the left beneath the steering wheel), where it's powered by a Garmin Constant Power Cable that pulls power from the +12v on the OBD plug.

I have it set so that it's constantly got power, so that if it detects anything in parking guard it can record, and I make sure I always park rear in against a wall when leaving the car so that I'm well covered.

I've had no 12v battery issues at all. The camera and constant power cable have built in functionality to monitor the 12v supply and if it starts to drop off, the camera automatically shuts off to protect the battery. It's been plugged in like this since May with no battery issues at all.

The camera is great - I have a 400gb SD card in it, and it runs constantly when I'm driving from ignition on, and runs in parking guard mode when I power off and lock the car. As soon as the phone is in range, if it's caught anything on parking guard, it'll send a notification to my phone. It records 1080p with a 140° viewing angle and the video and stills are super solid in both daylight and night. Sometimes there's slight glare if there's a sunset or sunrise but it doesn't impede the picture quality very much at all.

Best part is that the install took less than 10 minutes. You don't need to remove any trim pieces or seals from the car, it's just a matter of feeding the cable and you're done. It's almost like the e was made for running cables down the a-pillars.
Icelandic Advance Limited Edition in Premium Crystal Red on 17" rims
Registered May 2023
Home Type 2 Charging & Free Work Type 2 Charging! Woo!
ODO - 8750km
tencherman

Post by tencherman »

Thank you for the detailed recommendation Verone ...... and profuse apologies for my dilitory response time but I'm afraid 'life events' took precedent over matters honda e.
I shall pay a visit to the Garmin website and price up the package. Again, much appreciated.
Last edited by tencherman on Sat Nov 18, 2023 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tencherman

Post by tencherman »

UPDATE: Mini 2 and Constant Power Cable (v. neat bit of kit) ordered via Amazon and looking forward to setting up next week. Again, many thanks for the guidence Verone :D

P.S. any tips on removing a pillar trim etc. to hide wiring? Any special techniques/tools reqd.?
Verone

Post by Verone »

tencherman wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 6:15 pm UPDATE: Mini 2 and Constant Power Cable (v. neat bit of kit) ordered via Amazon and looking forward to setting up next week. Again, many thanks for the guidence Verone :D

P.S. any tips on removing a pillar trim etc. to hide wiring? Any special techniques/tools reqd.?
Nope, you don't need to remove any trim at all, and it's super easy to feed the cable. I was meaning to take some photos of my setup for another thread on here, but totally forgot.

I'll grab some when the sun comes up in the morning to show you how the cables are routed. I didn't have to remove or loosen any trims to do the install, and there's no visible cable anywhere other than where it comes out to connect to the camera.
Icelandic Advance Limited Edition in Premium Crystal Red on 17" rims
Registered May 2023
Home Type 2 Charging & Free Work Type 2 Charging! Woo!
ODO - 8750km
tencherman

Post by tencherman »

That’d be much appreciated Verone - thank you once more.
P.S hope the volcano calms down - fingers crossed for you
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

A 2 second search of this forum has surfaced this:
Dash Camera Installation
2020 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
tencherman

Post by tencherman »

...and by your goodself londinium person. I take it only the weather stripping needs to be moved to place the cable within the A pillar trim rather than risk damaging the trim itself ?
I do have trim tools but experience dictates that even relatively new plastic fitments can be damaged or broken no matter how carefully they are removed.
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

tencherman wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 5:41 pm ...and by your goodself londinium person. I take it only the weather stripping needs to be moved to place the cable within the A pillar trim rather than risk damaging the trim itself ?
I do have trim tools but experience dictates that even relatively new plastic fitments can be damaged or broken no matter how carefully they are removed.
Correct, no trim removal required.
2020 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post