Door Handles

Faults and Technical chat for the Honda E
Verone

Post by Verone »

ZoeDave wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 8:34 pm
On another note, is anyone else having problems seeing their own posts? I've revisited this thread a few times, and only see my latest posts if I click on the notification that I've been replied to.
I've had this quite a bit recently, to the point where I've created threads or double replied to things because I can't see my own post history. :?
Icelandic Advance Limited Edition in Premium Crystal Red on 17" rims
Registered May 2023
Home Type 2 Charging & Free Work Type 2 Charging! Woo!
ODO - 8750km

ZoeDave

Post by ZoeDave »

Verone wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 7:58 am
ZoeDave wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 8:34 pm
On another note, is anyone else having problems seeing their own posts? I've revisited this thread a few times, and only see my latest posts if I click on the notification that I've been replied to.
I've had this quite a bit recently, to the point where I've created threads or double replied to things because I can't see my own post history. :?
At least it's not just me. Thanks for preserving my sanity!
EEEE

Post by EEEE »

Door handles replaced yesterday. Dropped it off 8:15, called back at 1:15 to say it was ready.

They certainly work, and back to their usual loudness. I'm sure I've heard a Boeing 747 landing gear retract quieter and with more finesse. Also pretty sure that they no longer sit flush with the door skin but recessed by a few mm, enough to be visible in the mirrors. Never mind. Who at Honda designed/tested/signed off these. Now that I have new handles, it's obvious that the old ones felt really horrible/degraded.

I can't imagine that one was placed in a jig, and actuated / pulled 10,000 times (or even 100k) and then felt and went "Yep, that's still perfect, ship it".

The good news was that the replacement cost to the dealer was ~£350 per handle. If it was a paid for job, that would be 700+vat+labour , ouch!

Get your handles replaced under warranty while you can people! They wouldn't let me have the old ones to dismantle either which was a shame.

Fair play to Honda Aylesbury - no hassle really, no quibble on the diagnosis, just took a week for the parts to arrive then couldn't fit me in for another week.
'21 e Advance - Charge Yellow - E1702RR alloys
'17 Civic Sport CVT
'00 Prelude 2.2VTi
peniole

Post by peniole »

Had my second replaced today. Both are now recessed by about a mm on mine as well.
OCD = obsessive compulsive detailer

'22 Advance
EEEE

Post by EEEE »

Perhaps Honda changed the gasket? Previously perhaps it was a foam one that was compressible to allow adjustment - but over time this allowed water ingress?

Of all the things to be designed poorly, a bloody door handle, what were they thinking! Its the 1 thing you have to use every single time you want to use the car. I think Honda's heydays are well behind them.
'17 Civic Sport CVT
'00 Prelude 2.2VTi
peniole

Post by peniole »

You're not wrong. They have slipped badly from being in the top 3 for reliability to middling positions over the last decade.
OCD = obsessive compulsive detailer

'22 Advance
5thcivic

Post by 5thcivic »

Yes the reliability figures are worrying, I was told a lot of that decline was due to the prevalence of turbo failure on the 1 litre Civic, I always thought that engine on a big car like that was too good to be true, so would never consider buying one. Honda dropped the ball badly there.
EEEE

Post by EEEE »

I think the problem with the 1 litre is that the cambelt runs in the oil. Use the wrong oil, and the cambelt starts disintegrating directly into the oil. Not my cup of tea. We had the 1litre CVT 10th gen civic and didn't get on with it. The engine is probably OK in manual form, but as a CVT it was just terrible. We went with 1.5T CVT sport in the end, but even that has had its issues (now 6years old 60k/miles).
'17 Civic Sport CVT
'00 Prelude 2.2VTi
E_honda

Post by E_honda »

Car is currently in the garage to have the passenger door fixed again. Last in there back in Jan for the same issue.

Usual thing; window won’t go all the way , and the relay keeps clicking away until it gives up with a visible gap between the glass and the rubber seal. Have advised the garage not to keep it outside in the rain, but we shall see.

Interestingly, they said even if they replaced the door handle now, it would not be covered beyond the standard door warranty period (which ends early Next year).
That doesn’t seem right to me.

Does that mean any repair done by the garage has no guarantee from when you drive it away?
EEEE

Post by EEEE »

Perhaps your issue is not the door handle, but perhaps a sensor in the door latch mechanism itself?

I seem to notice that when exiting the car, pulling the handle itself does not drop the window, it seems to be the actual movement/opening of the door that triggers the drop. That suggests a sensor/switch of sorts in the door latch mechanism which is separate to the door handle.

I too have had the window being fully closed, and trying to close every second against its stop. I suspect water got into the sensor for the door latch mech. An exploded parts diagram would be a massive help here as I don't fancy taking my door cards off to confirm this is the case.
'17 Civic Sport CVT
'00 Prelude 2.2VTi

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post