Door Handles

Faults and Technical chat for the Honda E
madbiker

Post by madbiker »

Had the passenger door handle issue with it not always closing, Bristol Honda had it in for some tests before Xmas, it was an intermittent issue so luckily it was playing up on the day, they agreed to submit a warranty claim, in February I received a text with news the replacement was in and to book an appointment for both front door handles to be replaced.
That surprised me.
Now unfortunately the drivers door window isn’t always fully returning to its full height on closing the door and I’m occasionally hearing a thump of something while driving.
Cars booked in for the 22nd April so just getting an insight into what could be causing it before it goes in.
Is it a complete assembly when the door handle is replaced or are there parts not touched which could be my issue.
I know I was off the Honda technicians Christmas card list because I gathered from the service desk he was having a bad day with the two door handle replacements.
2022 Honda E Advance, Modern Steel Metalic, 16” rims.
2017 Honda MSX125.
2016 Nissan Navara Tekna on 4C air ride.
2009 Honda TRX700 road registered.

Wee Peem

Post by Wee Peem »

If he was having a bad day he may well have done a bad job ?
Trykpaa

Post by Trykpaa »

I have been informed that an updated design door handles is available, and have an appointment next month for replacement along with 4 year service.

Driver side was replaced 3 years ago, but is now 'weak' so doesn't come all the way out and is a bit loose . Passenger side is original and has not retracted or jumped out all winter (effectively a manual handle) - since a month ago it magically came back to life.

It will take years before I know if it works, but I am positively surprised by the proactivety and commitment from Honda.
Last edited by Trykpaa on Sun Jun 16, 2024 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
hondaero

Post by hondaero »

That s very good news indeed.
Thanks for posting

Regards,
amo
2023 Honda e Red Advance on 16" Michelin 195/55 & 205/55 tyres.
SuperRocket61

Post by SuperRocket61 »

Trykpaa wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 8:45 am I have been informed that an updated design door handles is available, and have an appointment next month for replacement along with 4 year service.

Driver side was replaced 3 years ago, but is now 'weak' so doesn't come all the way out and is a bit loose . Passenger side is original and has not retracted or jumped our all winter (effectively a manual handle) - since a month ago it magically came back to life.

I will take years before I know if it works, but I am positively surprised by the proactivety and commitment from Honda.
This is indeed excellent news but forgive me for being sceptical! Do you have more information? Will replacement now be covered by extended warranty? If not - what is the likely cost - I was quoted over £800 for replacing the unmodified part earlier in the year.
Trykpaa

Post by Trykpaa »

SuperRocket61 wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 10:52 am This is indeed excellent news but forgive me for being sceptical! Do you have more information? Will replacement now be covered by extended warranty? If not - what is the likely cost - I was quoted over £800 for replacing the unmodified part earlier in the year.
Will update you in august.
SuperRocket61

Post by SuperRocket61 »

I spoke to the Service Manager at Aylesbury Honda. He does not believe that there are any re-designed door handles as the part number is unchanged. Trykpaa - could you let me know which dealership told you this and I will follow it up? A re-design on a discontinued model is highly unlikely and is also an admission of a design fault. I am now on the extended warranty and Honda will NOT cover replacement of the door handles. The quote is in the region of £800 per side, fitted. And this would be to fit the same faulty part! Has anyone had a replacement fail again?
keithr

Post by keithr »

SuperRocket61 wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 4:15 pm Has anyone had a replacement fail again?
Yes. I had the drivers door handle mechanism replaced in the first year of ownership, and then again in the second year (the symtoms of the fault was different in each case). I'm now into my fourth year of ownership, so the last replacement has lasted longer than the first two door handles (and the passenger door handle is still the original handle).
SuperRocket61

Post by SuperRocket61 »

I have raised an official complaint to Honda that they are not covering a faulty part (the door handle unit) under their extended warranty. Obviously they will re-state that it is explicitly excluded in the wording of the extended warranty but the issue for me is that owners will be required to pay £800 repeatedly per door after the initial 3 year warranty for short term fixes to what is a design fault. I'll let you know ...
SuperRocket61

Post by SuperRocket61 »

Having raised a complaint this morning, Honda UK have been very efficient in rejecting it. Within two hours I had my reply by email;

"Since receiving your case, we have been in contact with Aylesbury Honda. From speaking with the Service manager at Aylesbury Honda and extended warranty department they provided us more detail on the issue you have been experiencing. From understanding this, we spoke with our Master Technicians at Honda (UK) who have confirmed that the reason the claim has been rejected is due to presence of the water in the handle and is not considered to be a manufacturing defect."

I have to say that Aylesbury Honda are as frustrated and puzzled by this response as me. The car has not been pressure-washed or machine washed so any water in the door is caused by rain. We live in the UK. It was December. It rains. This fault has been fixed routinely under initial warranty. How can Honda UK claim that protection against water ingress to the door is not a design fault?

There does not seem to be any further avenue within Honda UK. My best option would seem to be to raise this with the Motor Ombudsman, unless anyone knows of a motor electrical company in the Buckinghamshire area that would take an interest in identifying a (possibly simple) solution.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post