Panasonic 12v OE battery testing.

Faults and Technical chat for the Honda E
Mathieu

Post by Mathieu »

https://www.accudienst.nl/p71392/varta-b32-accu.html

The B32 has the terminals correct ;-)

EEEE

Post by EEEE »

Looks fine, a like for like replacement.
'21 e Advance - Charge Yellow - E1702RR alloys
'17 Civic Sport CVT
'00 Prelude 2.2VTi
tencherman

Post by tencherman »

Mathieu

Post by Mathieu Ā» Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:19 am
Unfortunately TaynaBatteries does not ship this nice battery to the Netherlands.
I could not find this EFB battery on eBay.
Will there be an alternative?
BM2 reports 11.85 V clamp voltage šŸ˜­

That's a shame ...... and a surprise as I know they've shipped to France and Italy. Must be a Dutch customs thing?
Not to rub salt in the wound but so far I've been impressed with the Enduroline from Tayna - I have been slowly increasing the time my new Garmin Mini2 dashcam is on in Parking mode (using a Garmin Constant Charge USB cable) to see the drainage effect on the battery and it has coped admirably - currently set at 'Always On' and after two days in cold temps outside (not that long I know) it's sitting at 12.34v .
Mathieu

Post by Mathieu »

I don't know why Tayna does not ship to The Netherlands. They did not tell me...
Battery Monitor showed this morning 11,78 volt! Temperature outside -5.2 Celsius. When I'm driving, the clamp voltage is 14,45. Once I've stopped BM shows immediately 11,8 volt.
So I ordered the Varta B-32 this morning.
tencherman

Post by tencherman »

I'm still coming to grips with voltage in the context of 12v car batteries and what the consquences (if any) of a sub-12v reading are. I understand a "healthy" 12v car battery is deemed to read 12.6v or 2.1v per cell - this being the ideal static reading after any "surface charge" has been allowed to die away after having been fully charged. Less than 12v is frequently cited to indicate a dead/dying battery. Par example:

i. My new Enduroline battery reads c. 12.9v when vehicle is switched off and drops to a holding figure of 12.6v some 23 hrs later (taken from BM battery monitor).
After recently setting up a Garmin dashcam so as to activate it's 'Parking Guard' mode when vehicle is locked up i.e. constant power to the dash cam these figures are 12.9v (immediately after turning off) and 12.3v 72hrs later. This is with the vehicle outside and it is cold here in the UK. Of course this means that all ancilliaries powered by the 12v battery operate as they should, including an 'always on' (including when parked) dascam.

ii. The OE Panasonic that the Enduroline above replaced (which, somewhat surprisingly, was working fine btw) was on a C-tek slow charge for a week and then left for a week after which my battery checker (not the BM monitor) announced it should be replaced because its 400 CCA has reduced to 285 CCA (loss of nearly 30% of capacity) but it's voltage remains at a healthy 12.8v ! In other words, it holds a healthy voltage but it's capacity has been degraded sufficient to require its replacement - this after 3.5 years of modest use.

iii. My ancient Optima Red top AGM battery which regularly drops its voltage to 11.7v after 72 hrs will still start a 4.0 litre Jeep with no more than 2 turns of the key. My assumption is that whilst the voltage is "too low" the approx. 520 CCA (vs. original 815CCA when new) remains sufficient to start a big engine. This battery also readly accepts charging from a good alternator with properly tensioned serpentine belt. This suggests battery voltage isn't everything .... but it is a guide to battery efficacy.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post