Prospective buyer here - would welcome advice

New to the Honda E Forums? Introduce yourself here
MrM83

Post by MrM83 »

So what will you do after 3 years?

FDAD

Post by FDAD »

Well I've had mine since brand new 2020, after 85000kms the problems I've had were 1 battery at 70 000kms, just replace it for one new from YUASA didn't even pay the dealer a visit (at least here in PT they don't seem as useless as in the UK but I don't pay for labour (or anything that I cant fix myself)).

From factory replaced the infotainment system before 4000kms, a rusted clip support from factory as well as a small issue where a plastic cover inside the charging port would get loose if I've driven in harsh roads.
All fixed under warranty without questions asked.

The door handle always makes me laugh because I really can't point it out to water ingress... I literally use a jet washer in the inside against the key looking mechanism to clean it... not a single issue.

However,... I have replaced 3 sets of taillights.... under warranty.
They get dirt/dust on the inside.

:roll: No one seems to get this issue but me. To the point where the dealer will allow me to get my original taillights to disassemble/investigate after 6 months in their hands. (They keep them in case Honda askes them and get trashed if they don't as they are replaced under warranty and can't be given to customer.)

Software wise is the absolute crap.... you can't make use of the screens because this actually.
Not properly at least... something I that I have fixed with some mods.

LKAS is a killer feature... I always turn it off at start up. It has the habit of getting you into oncoming traffic. :twisted:

I'm actually happy with it, it's not perfect but I enjoy it for what it is... Done plenty of road trips (here at least rapid chargers are not much of an issue, unless you really go to remote places and even then, you always find slow chargers).

It's also my work horse, that car goes everywhere and when i mean everywhere you wouldn't set you own foot there, always without issues.
https://www.instagram.com/p/COlEYbmlHnr

I would have preferred to have paid what it costs now and not 39 000€ when new but I really get its value worth, if you just use it occasionally you won't be getting what you've paid for.
Honda E advance [Modern Steel Metallic] 8-) [DELIVERED JULY 2020] - 85 000Kms + ✌️🎂
MrM83

Post by MrM83 »

Thanks FDAD. It’s funny as I’m sure if I’d posted a similar post on the S2000 forums everyone would be telling me to buy one! I’m getting quite the opposite vibe here. I get that online forums are probably more likely to have a slight negative bias, but still…. Having had a terrible experience of my now local dealer with my S2000 I’m now starting to be a little hesitant.
EEEE

Post by EEEE »

It's funny what marketing will make people say Vs what owners actually say.

On paper it seems lovely and it does look cool, but practically it's annoying to live with. I'm glad I still have a spare car to fall back on (that I can just get in and drive any time, anywhere)
'21 e Advance - Charge Yellow - E1702RR alloys
'17 Civic Sport CVT
'00 Prelude 2.2VTi
Verone

Post by Verone »

MrM83 wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 8:50 am Thanks FDAD. It’s funny as I’m sure if I’d posted a similar post on the S2000 forums everyone would be telling me to buy one! I’m getting quite the opposite vibe here. I get that online forums are probably more likely to have a slight negative bias, but still…. Having had a terrible experience of my now local dealer with my S2000 I’m now starting to be a little hesitant.
Not trying to discredit anyone's experiences as there have clearly been issues with other people's cars, but you also need to remember that the people who've had bad experiences tend to speak up, while those who haven't just go on living their lives, which means that for everyone that's had an issue with their car, there's usually at least one more that hasn't.

I've had mine since May this year, and I've not had a single problem with it, barring the driver aids freaking out when I gave it its first jetwash. Powering the car off, then back on and letting it self-test cleared the issue immediately. It's never happened since.

There a few little minor usability things around for me for sure. I've been sort of half-arsed writing up a full breakdown of the car that I need to finish, but there's been nothing major so far.
Icelandic Advance Limited Edition in Premium Crystal Red on 17" rims
Registered May 2023
Home Type 2 Charging & Free Work Type 2 Charging! Woo!
ODO - 8750km
asjo

Post by asjo »

MrM83 wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 8:50 am It’s funny as I’m sure if I’d posted a similar post on the S2000 forums everyone would be telling me to buy one! I’m getting quite the opposite vibe here. I get that online forums are probably more likely to have a slight negative bias, but still….
It goes in waves, I think - and the negative stories are the ones people remember and keep talking about, not all the times everything went smoothly and as expected.

Personally I have had no problems in the 2½ years I have had mine, and right now there is no car I would rather have - that's comparing to a Citroën C-zero (2012), a Citroën C6 (petrol, 2008), a Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz (1985), a Citroën Saxo Electrique (2002), and a UAZ 469B (1989).

Some of my choices makes is easier for me to like the Honda e: I have never installed or used the app, I don't want or need an app for my car. Hearing peoples experiences with the app, I feel like I have made the right choice.

I would really like the rear-lights to come on with the running lights, that's the only functional complaint I have. Cosmetically I disliked the blue line in the badges, and fixed that by taking them off and painting them.

My experience with a 10 year old electric car also makes me less concerned with battery degradation, so I don't spend time worrying about whether I should only charge to 80% and never go below 20%, and whether fully charging the car is bad for the batteries. The C-zero is still fine after 11 years without being cuddled, I think the Honda will be as well - so I don't worry.

And I can compare to the Citroën Saxo Electrique which had batteries that had distilled water in them that needed to be serviced regularly, charged only slooowly on standard 240V, and the car was limited to 90 km/h - and still it was fun to drive! - the C-zero and the Honda e are luxury compared to that.

Longer range would be nice, but my commute is ~30 km a day, so for me more range is a nice to have. The Citroën C-zero had ⅔ the range and the Citroën Saxo Electric had ⅓ the range, and both were perfectly fine for me.

I live in an apartment, so I do not have access to home charging. I have a 10 minute walk to the nearest public charger. It's not a problem for me. For some people parking more than 25 meters from their front door is a show stopper. Perspectives differ.

People are different, what people use their car for differs, experiences vary. Ultimately whether you'll be happy with a Honda e depends all those things as well.
FDAD

Post by FDAD »

asjo wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 12:41 pm People are different, what people use their car for differs, experiences vary. Ultimately whether you'll be happy with a Honda e depends all those things as well.
The above I believe sums it up.. :)

I'm happy with it overall, and yes people who complain are always more vocal than those who not, that's a fact.

The negatives for me are on the software side of things, Honda could and should have done better.
Honda E advance [Modern Steel Metallic] 8-) [DELIVERED JULY 2020] - 85 000Kms + ✌️🎂
Dorothee

Post by Dorothee »

Did anyone ever take the door handles apart? Maybe a dab of lithium grease on the internals could prevent future problems?
Last edited by Dorothee on Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
5thcivic

Post by 5thcivic »

I'm still very happy with mine, only real issue was the top mirror cluster rattle which is now (dealer) gone. I do few miles, it is a second car, local trips and shopping, no problems with public chargers because I don't use them. I would never have it for the only car, but there it is, a great urban car if you can absorb the range. Still is a nice buzz to drive.
I wish the Jazz had 2 screens like the E, music and satnav at the same time, the camera mirrors, and get rid of the (pointless auto hybrid) gear stick for buttons, that would be perfect too. Only criticism is the so so app, which I don't use much anyway, just tells me the cars are locked basically.
MrM83

Post by MrM83 »

First time I’ve heard comments about the app of a negative nature. What are the main gripes? And I’ve heard reference to an “eSIM” and in the context of not being cleared/ reset during change of ownership. Any insight here and how that is done? Is it dealer only that can do it?

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post