Honda e officially cancelled in UK and Europe

All Honda E related discussions
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

Honda confirmed to TopGear.com it wouldn't be taking any more orders for the Honda EV in the UK and Europe. Honda said it brought "many new customers to the brand with its distinctive design, advanced technology and trademark Honda driving dynamics".

It also "spearheaded [the brand’s] strategy to electrify 100 per cent of Honda’s mainstream European line up by 2022".

I know a few people have mentioned it in other countries so far (viewtopic.php?t=1485) and this seems to confirm it.

honda-e-sunset.jpg

madbiker

Post by madbiker »

Such a shame and version 2 wouldn’t have needed a major design change, newer battery tech for longer range being one of the main ones.
I’ve only had mine for 6 days and loving it.
2022 Honda E Advance, Modern Steel Metalic, 16” rims.
2017 Honda MSX125.
2016 Nissan Navara Tekna on 4C air ride.
2009 Honda TRX700 road registered.
madbiker

Post by madbiker »

Chatting with Bristol Honda yesterday and they say it’s still being sold in Japan, if true at least parts and hopefully updates will be available.
2017 Honda MSX125.
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

madbiker wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 7:56 pm Chatting with Bristol Honda yesterday and they say it’s still being sold in Japan, if true at least parts and hopefully updates will be available.
I always thought it used to be 10 years after production had ended, but it appears that this is wrong.

It turns out that there is no legal requirement for spares to be available for a set period in the UK, but all large manufacturers have signed up to The Motor Ombudsman’s new car code, which makes the vague stipulation that parts should be available throughout production of a model and “for a reasonable period thereafter”.

If a car is less than two years old, or it is under warranty, the manufacturer has a legal responsibility to replace it with a similar spec if it can’t be repaired.

What am 100% sure about and that is not to believe a single word any dealership employee says. Ask them to give you that in writing and see them backtrack faster than a greased pig.
2020 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
5thcivic

Post by 5thcivic »

The EU rules used to be spares available 7 years after a product stops production, but our Brexit freedoms seem to be to ditch these rules and not put anything concrete in their place.
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

5thcivic wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 3:35 pm The EU rules used to be spares available 7 years after a product stops production, but our Brexit freedoms seem to be to ditch these rules and not put anything concrete in their place.
That EU rule came into force after the UK had formally completed its separation from the EU.
2020 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
madbiker

Post by madbiker »

He did show me the Japanese website with the e still for sale but I notice it is still on the U.K. website as well when I checked after getting home.
Once all of the U.K. stock cars have been sold and it’s been deleted from the list I will keep an eye on the Japanese website as it would be reassuring to know it’s still being produced.
2017 Honda MSX125.
Marmite

Post by Marmite »

I'm Japanese living in the UK (also once Honda employee in Japan many years ago).

Just checked Japanese news site, a couple of days ago Honda officially announced they would stop e production in Jan 2024 in Japan. Once current stock are sold no more sales as new car. It says e's job as the first ice breaker/first penguin had been done to make impact, but short range and high price prevented to reach sales target in Japan (1000/year), after 3.5years actually only 1800 cars were sold there, whereas about 10000 in Europe. They will keep offering new EVs (like Ny1 and SUV, also small van in Japan) since they promised Honda will be all EV in the near future.

Discontinued parts will be available at least 10 years or more Honda says - don't know how easy to get hold of those from Europe but fingers crossed.

Japanese e owners club etc are all disappointed, they were waiting for upgrade or more apps for software but it won't happen. They are blaming Honda's marketing, not showing great hidden ability (handling, rear power for snow road driving...) as well as eye catching design.

Just rough translation!
2020 e Advance : Modern Steel Metallic + blue accent :mrgreen:
Isotope Toast

Post by Isotope Toast »

Marmite wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 1:34 pm I'm Japanese living in the UK (also once Honda employee in Japan many years ago).

Just checked Japanese news site, a couple of days ago Honda officially announced they would stop e production in Jan 2024 in Japan. Once current stock are sold no more sales as new car. It says e's job as the first ice breaker/first penguin had been done to make impact, but short range and high price prevented to reach sales target in Japan (1000/year), after 3.5years actually only 1800 cars were sold there, whereas about 10000 in Europe. They will keep offering new EVs (like Ny1 and SUV, also small van in Japan) since they promised Honda will be all EV in the near future.

Discontinued parts will be available at least 10 years or more Honda says - don't know how easy to get hold of those from Europe but fingers crossed.

Japanese e owners club etc are all disappointed, they were waiting for upgrade or more apps for software but it won't happen. They are blaming Honda's marketing, not showing great hidden ability (handling, rear power for snow road driving...) as well as eye catching design.

Just rough translation!
Thanks for the update and translation.
Only sold 1800 in Japan, wow, that's surprising. (I blame Honda, too).
I hope there's enough spare parts for us all in the future!
iHansz

Post by iHansz »

Another 21 days and then we will know if there is something exciting waiting for us europeans. https://global.honda/en/new_global_EV/? ... slink_text
Dutch Advance in Charge Yellow on 17"
1st registered Oct 2020
Home charger: public charging stations only

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post