Transmission failure

Faults and Technical chat for the Honda E
kotschy

Post by kotschy »

Hi,

Today when charge was realy low (1%) I got this error message:
"Transmissoin System Problem. Park Not Available"
Asked me to put in Park but that did not help.
I've charged the battery to 25% and went home. On the 30 min drive the message came up every time the car was moving.
Everything was ok, I got home without any problem. Car worked as usual.
Did anybody see this message before? Will it go away after I fully charge the car?

IMG_5419.JPG

2020 Advance Charge Yellow

FDAD

Post by FDAD »

Disconnect 12v Battery, wait 30min connect again and see if its gone.
Honda E advance [Modern Steel Metallic] 8-) [DELIVERED JULY 2020] - 85 000Kms + ✌️🎂
EEEE

Post by EEEE »

I do not know if the parking pawl is engaged via the 12v system or the HV system.

It sounds like the system could not engage the parking pawl (the thing that locks the motor output / diff and gives that distinctive rocking/lock feel if you don't put the handbrake on). Is it especially cold where you are (I can see your dash says 6c currently).

I would do as recommended, disconnect the 12v, wait a few mins and reconnect and see what happens.

I assume that the parking pawl doesn't actually engage?
'21 e Advance - Charge Yellow - E1702RR alloys
'17 Civic Sport CVT
'00 Prelude 2.2VTi
FDAD

Post by FDAD »

EEEE wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 8:40 pm I do not know if the parking pawl is engaged via the 12v system or the HV system.

It sounds like the system could not engage the parking pawl (the thing that locks the motor output / diff and gives that distinctive rocking/lock feel if you don't put the handbrake on). Is it especially cold where you are (I can see your dash says 6c currently).

I would do as recommended, disconnect the 12v, wait a few mins and reconnect and see what happens.

I assume that the parking pawl doesn't actually engage?
It sems just an intermitent failure to me, noting a power cycle can't fix. ;)
If it doesn't fix it maybe a new actuator is needed.
Honda E advance [Modern Steel Metallic] 8-) [DELIVERED JULY 2020] - 85 000Kms + ✌️🎂
EEEE

Post by EEEE »

I am not so sure. With safety critical functions, one cannot simply rely on a command to do something and take it that it happened. There always needs to be an absolute sense/readout that the thing has occured.

Much like the issue with the charging connector we saw in the other thread, I suspect there is a similar mechanism here. Perhaps the grease inside is too thick again... Although I suspect this one is not as easy to get to for a diy-er. I suspect it's 12v operated so perhap a flattening 12v battery could be the cause but seems unlikely.
'17 Civic Sport CVT
'00 Prelude 2.2VTi
kotschy

Post by kotschy »

Transmission seems working. When I shift to Park, the message goes away, and come back when I start to drive again
EEEE

Post by EEEE »

I suspect that there is a problem with the mechanism that engages the parking pawl. Its possible it has 2 positions that are reported by microswitch (fully engaged, fully disengaged). It must be disengaging physically enough for you to use the car (the gear is not locked), but the mechanism is not reporting it correctly.

I would actually get that checked out as soon as possible. If the mechanism is not retracting fully, i guess it runs the possibility of engaging whilst in motion?

Did you try a 12v reset? Did you try anything?
'17 Civic Sport CVT
'00 Prelude 2.2VTi
FDAD

Post by FDAD »

EEEE wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 8:33 am I would actually get that checked out as soon as possible. If the mechanism is not retracting fully, i guess it runs the possibility of engaging whilst in motion?
If the message keeps returning yes, better safe than sorry.
hondaeboy

Post by hondaeboy »

kotschy wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 6:21 pm Today when charge was realy low (1%) I got this error message:
"Transmissoin System Problem. Park Not Available"
Asked me to put in Park but that did not help.
I feel like that message just comes up when you start the car with a really low State-of-Charge (SoC). In my experience, the park still works, and you can even drive as normal.

I've always figured that this error message comes up out of safety, and to scare you into charging the freaking car already! However, you can actually still drive about 3 kWh worth of charge (although, I would not recommend that, because you never know the actual degradation of your battery or the actual range below 0% SoC). But I've had this error come up at 3%, thinking that would be enough to get home. However, turning the car off and on again, the charge was 0% all of a sudden.

But let's say you have a very low SoC, you're on the highway, and you're still a bit away from the next charger, the error message might help you get away with driving 35 mph on the hard shoulder, if you get pulled over.
2021 Honda e Advance on 16" RC30 wheels with Goodyear 195/55 & 205/55 tyres.
Wrapped in Red metallic with full black and cinnamon leather interior.
kotschy

Post by kotschy »

I did not use my car for 2 days (I could not charge for reasonable price) and this error went away.
The battery was still 7% charge but no transmission error message.
So this seems a bug to me as there was no issues with driving at all.
Finally I got power in my garage, so from now on my Honda e will be fully charged every morning:)

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post