12V battery issues

All Honda E related discussions
FDAD

Post by FDAD »

Rew1mac wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:21 pm [Fob response question]
The car unlocks and lights come on every time a member of the family with key in pocket walks past.
This drains the 12v ancillary battery and makes the car vulnerable to intrusion for a short time.
I have searched the manual for some way to stop this happening but not yet found the answer.
Question.
Is it possible to configure the car so that it will only unlock the doors if a driver presses the correct button a fob, but not respond to a fob that is only passing by?
https://www.honda.co.uk/cars/owners/man ... f#page=336

https://www.honda.co.uk/cars/owners/man ... f#page=342
Honda E advance [Modern Steel Metallic] 8-) [DELIVERED JULY 2020] - 85 000Kms + ✌️🎂

Marcin

Post by Marcin »

20240118_201603.jpg

Honda dzisiaj sama po zakończeniu jazdy ,zaleca doładowanie akumlatora 12 V ze względu na niskie temperatury.Taki komunikat mam poraz pierwszy .
Marcin Sapała
Fortunatus

Post by Fortunatus »

You could jump start the 12v battery with one of those handy power banks to get the car going:
Isotope Toast

Post by Isotope Toast »

Whelp, it finally happened to me. Drove the GF to work on Tuesday morning, over a 1 hour trip there and back, then hooked up the charging cable.

Disconnected the cable last night around 5pm or so.

Went out just now and the car is dead. Noticed in over the past few weeks/months, random, but not too often clicking from the passenger side door - the famous door handle ghost? Probably. It always goes away and I've never shut the car off while it was happening. I assume that, upon unlocking the car last night to put the cable away, the ghost came back and, after the car was locked, kept activating the door handle and thereby killing the 12v.

Honda Service is on the way to recharge the battery, but as I've read, once dead pretty much always dead, so I need to go to the dealer. Car is 13 months old, about 12,500 km.

I live an hour away from the dealership, so keeping the car alive until I can make it to them will be fun.

P.S. It was stated at the very beginning of this thread, but, it can't be said enough: if your 12v battery dies and you open a door with the key, DO NOT CLOSE THE DOOR AGAIN!! The window will NOT go down like normal and you'll end up taking a nice chunk out of the A-pillar. (What a crap design!)
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

Isotope Toast wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:16 pm P.S. It was stated at the very beginning of this thread, but, it can't be said enough: if your 12v battery dies and you open a door with the key, DO NOT CLOSE THE DOOR AGAIN!! The window will NOT go down like normal and you'll end up taking a nice chunk out of the A-pillar. (What a crap design!)
But it looks nice :lol:

This design is what we get for having frameless doors, unless it's a convertible and then it doesn't matter.
2020 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
EEEE

Post by EEEE »

Sorry to hear that your battery went flat. The clicking noise you describe, are you sure it wasn't the window trying to go up, or was it more like the handle retract?

The handle retracting only tended to happen when the car came to a stop and pulled off again.

When my window decided to have a 'funny five minutes' , it was very much every 2 seconds, a tiny attempt to close against its stop (a more rhythmic affair).

Regarding the pillarless windows, I too find them another unnecessary addition to the car. Passengers tend not to know how to close the door properly, and put grubby hand prints all over the window (or make me wince when they try to move a door by grabbing a piece of extended glass).

Also, as the car body flexes over undulating road services, I now start to hear creaking right by my right ear, where the window/door is moving ever so slightly against the seals. Pretty sure it wasn't like that when new. Quite annoying.
'21 e Advance - Charge Yellow - E1702RR alloys
'17 Civic Sport CVT
'00 Prelude 2.2VTi
Isotope Toast

Post by Isotope Toast »

"But it looks nice" - yep, a slave to fashion. ;)

@EEEE
I sometimes get both the window and the handle. Both however, have only ever lasted some seconds.
With the window, it just moves a tiny bit. I usually move the window up and down a bit and it goes away. (What you describe is what mine does, too - just not for very long).
With the handle, it's retracted, but still sometimes randomly clicks - not loud like it is when it's actually opening....but maybe like it's trying to close it when it's already closed. This always goes away, too. Usually, locking/unlocking or opening the door makes it go away.

Yeah, I've noticed very slight wind noise from the right rear door, kinda near the handle area. Louder music always solves this. :)

Update on situation:
Roadside assistance came, attached a booster pack for literally 3 seconds, and the car lit right up. Drove for about 30km (as told to by Honda - I appreciate that they called me back to follow up) and bought a battery booster that will now also live in the car.
Next week I'll drop by the dealership and they will do a quick 1-over.
Fortunatus

Post by Fortunatus »

Rewmac1 -I don't think the keyless entry can be disabled to enable the car to be locked and unlocked by the fob buttons only?
Verone

Post by Verone »

It finally happened to me, but it was my own dumbass fault!

I'm kicking myself because I've had zero issues with the car so far. I hope the flat battery isn't going to be start of any problems, because it's entirely self inflicted.

We had one of those weird overcast days today that's sort of dark enough for the auto lights to have the DRLs on, but not dark enough for it to put the full headlights and tail lights on. It's a legal requirement in Iceland to drive with your headlights on all the time, so I flicked them on.

Usually when I park the car, I don't switch it off. I just get out, the car senses the key is gone, and I lock it, which causes it to turn off itself. The headlights are on a fifteen second timer, and go out when I walk away, so I never check that the lights have gone off. I'm one of those people who always has the key in their pocket, and has the "start on arse detection" option switched on, so I never really usually interact with the key for the car much. I often even just use the touch sensor on the doorhandle to lock it before walking away.

Today I forgot to turn the lights off before getting out, and because I don't turn the car off before doing so, I didn't get the audio ping to warn me that the lights were still on when when I opened the door. I always usually drive with the front fogs on too out of habit because of shit visibility over here, so they were also left on to add to the battery draw. Bugger.

About six hours later, my boyfriend came home from work, pulled in, and when he came into the apartment he said "Your car's lit up like a schizophrenic Christmas tree and the blinkers and tail lights are going mental."

I hadn't remembered that I'd left the lights on, so I was super confused. Went downstairs, and was confronted with the back end of the car doing this:

ezgif-5-d28fee372e.gif

The car was nosy parked against the wall, and the front lights were doing the same, as well as the side repeaters on the cameras.

Car would not respond to the keyfob, and of course, I started flapping because even with a flat battery on god knows how many other cars I've owned, I've never seen the lights behave like this. Super weird.

Unlocked the driver's door with the manual key, and super carefully opened it to stop the window fucking up the a-pillar, and the car wouldn't power on. Weird rapid chattering and clicking coming from under the dash, and the same from somewhere in the boot - which I remembered other people mentioning when their batteries went flat.

I had a spare battery from my old Subaru Legacy that I also run, so I hooked this up with jump leads, and immediately the car starts up when I push the button. Horn starts blaring, blinkers and headlights are going, full alarm mode. Easily silenced with the fob by hitting the door unlock button. Pretty much every warning on the dashboard known to man, but as soon as I power the car off, then on again, they all clear and the dash is all good and green.

Seems the random clicking noises people were hearing were coming from the car's alarm system, with it trying to activate the horn and lights when the battery runs down, but not having enough power to do so. Strange, because I didn't think my car had the alarm, given none sold in Iceland have the option by the map lights to turn it off. Seems that every e comes with an alarm, just in some areas not the ability to disable the ultrasonics inside the car. This must be a regional thing I guess, maybe there's some legislation for it in certain territories or something.

So yeah, plugged the driver's side seatbelt in with the car powered on and left it for thirty minutes. Multimeter across the battery with the car turned off after this and it's a good 12.8v. I don't trust it though.

It's lasted all winter just fine, but after hearing the horror stories of how the factory Panasonic battery is garbage and performs super badly, becoming unreliable after just one discharge, I'm gonna pick up the YUASA replacement tomorrow just to be on the safe side.

Lesson learned - don't rely on anything being automatic - check your lights before you get out :lol:
Icelandic Advance Limited Edition in Premium Crystal Red on 17" rims
Registered May 2023
Home Type 2 Charging & Free Work Type 2 Charging! Woo!
ODO - 8750km
iHansz

Post by iHansz »

What an adventure Paul. Fortunately, it ended well. That's why I still lock mine with keyfob to make sure it's closed. If you hold the locking button a little longer, the windows also close extra. Immediately waterproof. 😇
Dutch Advance in Charge Yellow on 17"
1st registered Oct 2020
Home charger: public charging stations only

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post