Annoying rattle in the overhead switch cluster

Faults and Technical chat for the Honda E
Nebrog23

Post by Nebrog23 »

darrenj1 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:24 pm This rattling is getting beyond a joke now. I will be calling the dealer tomorrow, I'm not keeping the car with this incessant noise, id rather change car.
How did you get on with the dealer with this?

Fakeplasticman

Post by Fakeplasticman »

I think I might be in the club :/

At first I thought it was coming fro the dash, but now I'm not convinced. It does seem to go when the heat is on and is definitely worse in colder weather.

I have tried jiggling the bit behind the sensors to no avail. I also removed the little plastic cover that partially surrounds the stalk of the RVM and had a poke about to see if anything was likely to be causing it, but all the wires are fairly well wrapped.

I think its plastic rattling on glass.

I'm also developing a bit of a rattle / sqeak on the door frame but almost 100% some rubber care (or good old gummi pflege for you german car owners) will fix that.

Happens to every car I have, really doesnt hep with the OCD :)
milligoon

Post by milligoon »

Candle wax rubbed on overlapping trim pieces can help stop plastic squeaks. I have a resonance buzz on the passenger side that shows up on the same patch of road. I have as yet to locate the actual source of noise on the passenger side
Ex e owner
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

I'm now regularly getting rattling from the passenger door with the window fully closed. I had a similar issue on my Mini which also had frameless doors.
You would have thought that Honda could have been eliminated the rattling innards in this day and age.
2022 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
Fakeplasticman

Post by Fakeplasticman »

Try some autoglym rubber care (or whatever it's called) along the rubber seals of the door. Daft I know but BMWs were infamous at one point for rattling doors and this fixed it for me. There is a product called Gummi plfege (not a typo) that many people swear by for this purpose. Apparently it's what BMW use to keep the door seals supple. I just use the autoglym stuff though cos they sell that in the local shops.

In case you think I'm mad - https://www.google.com/search?q=door+ra ... mmi+plfege
milligoon

Post by milligoon »

I've used it for years on my smart I think it just translates to - rubber care.
Ex e owner
Fakeplasticman

Post by Fakeplasticman »

omg that is hilarious, I never once considered it was just the german name for rubber care - brilliant.
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

Fakeplasticman wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:52 pm Try some autoglym rubber care (or whatever it's called) along the rubber seals of the door. Daft I know but BMWs were infamous at one point for rattling doors and this fixed it for me. There is a product called Gummi plfege (not a typo) that many people swear by for this purpose. Apparently it's what BMW use to keep the door seals supple. I just use the autoglym stuff though cos they sell that in the local shops.

In case you think I'm mad - https://www.google.com/search?q=door+ra ... mmi+plfege
I can't see how this will stop a noise that sounds like an internal door mechanism rattling but I'm happy to be proven wrong, so I'll see about purchasing some Gummi plfege to add to my already extensive collection of lotions and potions for car care.
2022 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
Fakeplasticman

Post by Fakeplasticman »

londiniumperson wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 3:41 pm
Fakeplasticman wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:52 pm Try some autoglym rubber care (or whatever it's called) along the rubber seals of the door. Daft I know but BMWs were infamous at one point for rattling doors and this fixed it for me. There is a product called Gummi plfege (not a typo) that many people swear by for this purpose. Apparently it's what BMW use to keep the door seals supple. I just use the autoglym stuff though cos they sell that in the local shops.

I can't see how this will stop a noise that sounds like an internal door mechanism rattling but I'm happy to be proven wrong, so I'll see about purchasing some Gummi plfege to add to my already extensive collection of lotions and potions for car care.
For me at least i think it was theoretically - that the glass couldn't slide freely against the rubber, meaning the rigidity of the door on its hinges was increased, therefore vibrations also increased. Give it a try, rubber care is good stuff to have anyway.
5thcivic

Post by 5thcivic »

My brand new e now 100 miles developed an annoying buzz or resonance rattle when braking or going over bad roads. It was the cover of the camera setup behind the mirror , the plastic is slightly away from the glass and buzzing under certain conditions, easily proven by just holding the cover when the noise starts. It was very annoying because the car is otherwise so quiet. After playing with it, tapping and pulling away from the windscreen it has stopped meanwhile, but I will definitely be mentioning it to the dealer. I tried a small bit of bit of foam under the front edge bewteen the cover and the glass and this worked, but you could see it in the windscreen on the outside and looked stupid for such a sophisticated car, so gave up on that fix.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post