Window not fully closed when door locked

Faults and Technical chat for the Honda E
Benji

Post by Benji »

hondaeboy wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 6:14 pm
londiniumperson wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:12 pm A 3rd replacement door handle fixed the window issue on my car.
As far as I've experienced, the issue is caused by fog or liquid on a sensor in the door handle. I've consistently had it happen after power washed 'into' the door handle. As soon as the fog had dried up, the issue also disappeared. But, yeah, replacing the door handle every time would obviously help as well. :D
Do I have to dissassemble something or where is this sensor located and what sensor it is? I would like to dry it up.
Last edited by Benji on Sat Jan 06, 2024 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EEEE

Post by EEEE »

Benji wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 10:36 pm
londiniumperson wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:12 pm A 3rd replacement door handle fixed the window issue on my car.
As far as I've experienced, the issue is caused by fog or liquid on a sensor in the door handle. I've consistently had it happen after power washed 'into' the door handle. As soon as the fog had dried up, the issue also disappeared. But, yeah, replacing the door handle every time would obviously help as well. :D
Do I have to dissassemble something or where is this sensor located and what sensor it is? I would like to dry it up.
The microswitch is in the door handle mechanism itself. This is the big black plastic thing that bolts to the inside of the door, and contains the motor for driving the door handle in and out, as well as 2 microswitches for sensing if the handle motor has actuated, or if the door handle is pulled. Once you have removed the mechanism, you need to remove the plastic cover to see it. I will take a photo shortly. It cannot hurt to test it with a multi meter, dry it out with a hairdryer perhaps and see if you can get any switch lube in there, then apply some kind of weather proofing (spray on lacquer of some sort?).
'21 e Advance - Charge Yellow - E1702RR alloys
'17 Civic Sport CVT
'00 Prelude 2.2VTi
EEEE

Post by EEEE »

This is my spare drivers side handle mechanism, purchased at my expense as the dealer wouldn't give me the old ones to look into. I believe it came from a car with sub 1k miles. It is attached to the car via the flying multiplug, and the 2 pin connection on the gearbox at the bottom of the picture (a 3 pin connector is unused and capped off with a translucent cover).

IMG_20240108_195608.jpg

This is the back of the mechanism, there is a cover held in by 2 small crosshead screws. They do not appear to be JIS headed (unlike the screws holding in the lock barrel assembly a sure sign of Japanese manufacture, perhaps the handles are made elsewhere!).

IMG_20240108_195405.jpg

With the cover removed, more of the mech becomes apparent. The microswitch which senses if the handle is pulled to its 2nd position (to alert/command a door/window open), is bottom right of the picture, below the silver arm with connecting/linkage rod (which no doubt joins to the latch I'm guessing). The switch is black and red wire at the multiplug. The switch is normally open, and closes to make continuity when the handle is pulled approximately a third of the way between popped out and fully pulled. I guess this is so that the window has chance to move before you take up all the slack and start pulling the door and actuating the latch.

IMG_20240108_195417.jpg

The non visible microswitch which is probably not related to the window dropping issue, but could be the cause of a battery drain issue. This tells the car whether the handle was actually popped out or not. It sites underneath the motor/gearbox assembly. This assembly is quite hard to remove. Even though I was using 2 small screw drivers to depress the tangs, I still ended up obliterating one of them trying to remove it. It could always be glued back into place at a pinch.

IMG_20240108_195434.jpg

My concern with the 'hidden' microswitch is that it is slightly pointless. The door handles open and close so quickly, there shouldn't be any need to 'sense' them. The operation of the pop out/in door handles is so obvious, there should be no need for the computer to sense them. That is of course unless the circuit that drives them is too stupid to have a cut off time. Eg, the handles open and close in a fraction of a second. Is there a default timeout that the ECU stops powering the handle motor if it doesn't receive the signal that mechanism moved? Could this be what is draining the battery? Eg you lock the car, the microswitch is faulty, the motor is powered and the handle retracts, does the car blindly power the motor forever as no 'popped in' signal is received? This is something that requires further testing but I don't really want to take my door apart to find out. Perhaps in the summer when the warranty has since ended and I have time for car shenanigans.

I do not know if there are any more microswitches inside the door/latch mechanism. My reason for saying this is that you can pull the interior handle fully, and the window will not drop. You must first push the door open a tiny fraction, then the window will drop. I cannot work out if this is the same microswitch used in both cases (getting in via the external handle, and getting out via the internal handle). It may well be, but I don't have the rest of the door mech to confirm.
'17 Civic Sport CVT
'00 Prelude 2.2VTi
MrM83

Post by MrM83 »

Nice work, thanks for taking time to take the pictures and write up.
hondaeboy

Post by hondaeboy »

Benji wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 10:36 pm
I was contemplating using the 230V socket and plugging in a hair dryer. But I usually just wait for it to dry naturally. Over time, the issue disappears. Unfortunately, this time I cleaned the car while it is also very humid outside, so it might take a little longer this time... :(
2021 Honda e Advance on 16" RC30 wheels with Goodyear 195/55 & 205/55 tyres.
Wrapped in Red metallic with full black and cinnamon leather interior.
Mathieu

Post by Mathieu »

Perhaps it is a good idea to cover the door handles with tape in the car wash 😊
EEEE

Post by EEEE »

Mathieu wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 6:12 pm Perhaps it is a good idea to cover the door handles with tape in the car wash 😊
Anyone putting the Honda e through a car wash needs shooting! It is the easiest car in the world to wash by hand. The panels so straight and flat, all the edges are rounded, its high up - apart from the rear spoiler/brakelight that lights to hold onto some soap, it is almost the perfect car to wash by hand, it's a pure delight.

10th gen civic can go to hell with all its folds, spoilers, honeycomb fake grills, plastics, undercuts, overhangs etc.
'17 Civic Sport CVT
'00 Prelude 2.2VTi
FDAD

Post by FDAD »

Mathieu wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 6:12 pm Perhaps it is a good idea to cover the door handles with tape in the car wash 😊
Never once did i did that to any car or ever will. :D
Honda E advance [Modern Steel Metallic] 8-) [DELIVERED JULY 2020] - 85 000Kms + ✌️🎂

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post