Active cooling system

Faults and Technical chat for the Honda E
FDAD

Post by FDAD »

Well I test my battery periodically for overheating and nothing has come up...
Honda E advance [Modern Steel Metallic] 8-) [DELIVERED JULY 2020] - 85 000Kms + ✌️🎂

londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

FDAD wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 6:28 pm Well I test my battery periodically for overheating and nothing has come up...
How do you access the internal battery temperature date?
2022 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
FDAD

Post by FDAD »

londiniumperson wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 12:39 pm
FDAD wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 6:28 pm Well I test my battery periodically for overheating and nothing has come up...
How do you access the internal battery temperature date?
Oh.. no no no... :D I actively test it, about every two weeks I need to go back and forth a 50km stretch and I make the best test possible... If under 60% I fast charge it to about 80% and go straight to the motorway. top speed about 80% of the way.. fast charge it again and get back again to were I started at top speed... :) Not a single warning.
If there is any degradation.. I'll know it right away.

Given that I have close to 16500kms and I use it just like any other motor vehicle I've had... I have the exact same range I've had at 0kms so... I'm not to worried.

I've received a lot of private messages asking about how to get battery info, I don't know. I wish Honda would make that public and if someone would like to decode that I would gladly help. It should be mandatory to have that info available as well as motor health. Imagine if you couldn't see any warning 'till the car breaks down with a burned battery/motor because of coolant leak. Unacceptable. If Honda had that meeting here in PT asking customers about their experience I'd burn their ears. :D

I'll have my official 1st car warranty check up in about 80 days... Let's see what they tell me. ;)
Honda E advance [Modern Steel Metallic] 8-) [DELIVERED JULY 2020] - 85 000Kms + ✌️🎂
londiniumperson

My first service is due in 107 days yet my car states that it's due in less than 90 :?:

It's the rapid charging that has the most potential to degrade the battery, not fast charging. I always fast charge mine and wouldn't expect nor have I noticed any degradation.

As for coolant leaks, I always check all of the fluid levels, tyres & battery monthly (because the manual advises that the battery terminals are checked for corrosion monthly - page 614)
SwissChris

Post by SwissChris »

Maybe its because English is not my first language, but what is the difference between fast and rapid charging? Honda tested the e at temperatures of 35°C in a cycle of driving at 100 km/h and DC fast (rapid?) charging and the system was capable to keep the battery temperature within threshold. The Power Control Unit anyway has its own cooling circuit with its own radiator at the front of the vehicle (in front of the radiator fan and below the battery radiator). The engine/gearbox is cooled by engine oil and an engine oil cooler.

It is obvious that you are not (yet) able to detect any battery degradation, but for sure there is one, especially our NCM battery chemistry degrades pretty fast during the first charging cycles and then degrades much slower. The Battery Management System will take care that you will not notice it though.
londiniumperson

There are currently 3 types of charging (ignoring Tesla & Chadamo specific):
1) Slow
2) Fast
3) Rapid

Slow
Standard house AC 3 pin socket, typically 2.3 kW (10A).

Fast
Fast chargers (also known as destination or home chargers) with a type 2 connector are also AC & rated between 7kW (16A) and 22kW, this uses the car's onboard AC-DC converter (in the case of the Honda, this is 6.6kW). These are technically called EVSE's.

Rapid
There are two kinds, AC & DC:
Rapid AC at up to 43kW (not available on the Honda e).
Rapid DC (CCS connector) chargers supply DC current straight to the car, allowing the car to charge at up to 50kW on the Honda e, faster DC chargers are available but of no benefit over a 50kW version to us Honda e owners.
SwissChris

Post by SwissChris »

Thank you - so at home I have "fast" charging but only with 16A = 3.7kW. Honda tested the car with DC rapid charging.
FDAD

Post by FDAD »

londiniumperson wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 6:41 pm Rapid
There are two kinds, AC & DC:
Rapid AC at up to 43kW (not available on the Honda e).
Rapid DC (CCS connector) chargers supply DC current straight to the car, allowing the car to charge at up to 50kW on the Honda e, faster DC chargers are available but of no benefit over a 50kW version to us Honda e owners.

So by those standards I meant Rapid, anything below 50kw here is considered slow, below 22kw.. super slow.
About 60% (of my charges are 50kw) When at work/office usually use the home charger 2,3kw.
(I can't charge at home)
londiniumperson wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 6:41 pm Rapid
faster DC chargers are available but of no benefit over a 50kW version to us Honda e owners.
Well I had the opportunity to test it recently in a 80kW charger and it took me 37:30minutes to charge 19.60kw
With the 50kw chargers I get about 12kw in 32minutes.
Some difference it had...
FDAD

Post by FDAD »

SwissChris wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 5:16 pm Maybe its because English is not my first language, but what is the difference between fast and rapid charging? Honda tested the e at temperatures of 35°C in a cycle of driving at 100 km/h and DC fast (rapid?) charging and the system was capable to keep the battery temperature within threshold. The Power Control Unit anyway has its own cooling circuit with its own radiator at the front of the vehicle (in front of the radiator fan and below the battery radiator). The engine/gearbox is cooled by engine oil and an engine oil cooler.

It is obvious that you are not (yet) able to detect any battery degradation, but for sure there is one, especially our NCM battery chemistry degrades pretty fast during the first charging cycles and then degrades much slower. The Battery Management System will take care that you will not notice it though.
The thing is.. we have 7 years or 160.000 kms for it to go below 70% and we can claim warranty.

It's like when a tv that fails one month after the 2y warranty. I'll make sure that If it degrades it better be before it makes to 160.000km because i'll hit that in about 4/5 years.

I took the jump at going to a EV because i strongly believe that the technology has improved enough for me to use a EV like any other motor vehicle...

If Honda disclosed their battery info and I could see how to take better care of it I would... that not being the case I have to make sure I don't get screwed at the end. It's that simple.
Last edited by FDAD on Mon May 03, 2021 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SwissChris

Post by SwissChris »

This discussion again shows the need for a proper OBD2 tool like it is available for Tesla & Co! I want to know the degradation state of my battery at least on a monthly basis ;)

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post