Dead Honda e

Faults and Technical chat for the Honda E
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

bogga wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 6:33 pm I've had a completely dead Honda E before (after accident), and I can tell you, the manual key definitely works.
Haven't we all had a dead Honda e at least once?

Mines completely died several times & the dealership have insisted that there was nothing wrong with the 12v battery and would not replace it.
2020 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current

EEEE

Post by EEEE »

The key does work, it it is fiddly. You have to fully insert the key, turn it counterclockwise, and whilst it's held fully clockwise, then further pull the door handle to its second position.

The car is not always charging the 12v battery when it's turned on. I wouldn't call it defective, but suboptimal. I suspect it's a hangover from using modules designed for petrol cars, where charging is interrupted to reduce load on the alternator. I was surprised to see the voltage not be the max whilst I was using my scan tool.

Overall I would say the car is just badly integrated, and the outcome is just poor user experience (including non-starts)
'21 e Advance - Charge Yellow - E1702RR alloys
'17 Civic Sport CVT
'00 Prelude 2.2VTi
asjo

Post by asjo »

londiniumperson wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 7:51 pm Haven't we all had a dead Honda e at least once?
2½ year in with mine, no, not yet; knock on wood.
Gerynant24

Post by Gerynant24 »

So Car now delivered to Honda having been dragged backwards up the ramp onto the truck :-( . This is the AA here...
I can definitely tell you that neither of the physical keys worked. We only have the 1 Honda... As I mentioned even the AA couldn't get in with the key and was equally baffled.
Swansea Bassetts got in via a "talented" technician apparently, although were cagy in the response and charged us £150 for the privilege.
Will be writing to Honda to complain as this should never have happened.
Gerynant24

Post by Gerynant24 »

asjo wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 8:39 pm
londiniumperson wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 7:51 pm Haven't we all had a dead Honda e at least once?
2½ year in with mine, no, not yet; knock on wood.
I'd get a battery test and a battery monitor fitted if I were you, it looks like 3 years is the best you can expect. Worst of all is ours is only just out of warranty...
Still, wouldn't swap her for anything else, you just can't get behind the wheel without smiling...
Gerynant24

Post by Gerynant24 »

EEEE wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 8:03 pm The key does work, it it is fiddly. You have to fully insert the key, turn it counterclockwise, and whilst it's held fully clockwise, then further pull the door handle to its second position.

The car is not always charging the 12v battery when it's turned on. I wouldn't call it defective, but suboptimal. I suspect it's a hangover from using modules designed for petrol cars, where charging is interrupted to reduce load on the alternator. I was surprised to see the voltage not be the max whilst I was using my scan tool.

Overall I would say the car is just badly integrated, and the outcome is just poor user experience (including non-starts)
Did try all that spent 30m trying to get the door open, so did the AA and the collection company. Will be trying it again when we get the car back because don't want this happening again,
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

Gerynant24 wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 7:29 pm I'd get a battery test and a battery monitor fitted if I were you, it looks like 3 years is the best you can expect. Worst of all is ours is only just out of warranty...
Still, wouldn't swap her for anything else, you just can't get behind the wheel without smiling...
I've had a battery monitor fitted for years and it always states that it's almost flat, but the dealership have been adamant that its fine :roll:
2020 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current
Gerynant24

Post by Gerynant24 »

Had the final response from Honda today on the lock problem and they have stated that the door Lock does not have a solely physical connection to the handle. If the battery fails and is not just low, as in our case, then there is no power to drive the door lock solenoid.
It looks like the physical key is provided as an emergency should the key fob fail, but if your battery is totally borked, then there is nothing to be done.

People beware! I'm seriously considering a charging extension cable to somewhere under the bumper in case this happens again.
Swiss Navy Commander

Post by Swiss Navy Commander »

I bought one of these jump starters from Halfords

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/batte ... myEALw_wcB

I did have problems , but after I bought it.....it never misbehaved, then one day I found the car dead and was pleased to note that a door had not been properly closed - and the Jump starter worked first time

I would say it is an absolute essential tool to have in these cars - you can buy them for around £80 even less second hand of course
EEEE

Post by EEEE »

Gerynant24 wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 7:31 pm Had the final response from Honda today on the lock problem and they have stated that the door Lock does not have a solely physical connection to the handle. If the battery fails and is not just low, as in our case, then there is no power to drive the door lock solenoid.
It looks like the physical key is provided as an emergency should the key fob fail, but if your battery is totally borked, then there is nothing to be done.

People beware! I'm seriously considering a charging extension cable to somewhere under the bumper in case this happens again.
I don't think this is strictly true. I was able to unlock my car using the key when absolutely no 12v battery was fitted. I guess it is possible that some of the internal latching mechanism could get stuck or jammed. When my handles are replaced, I'll see if I can get to keep one or both of the old ones and dismantle them.
'21 e Advance - Charge Yellow - E1702RR alloys
'17 Civic Sport CVT
'00 Prelude 2.2VTi

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post