Wheel Spacers

Faults and Technical chat for the Honda E
londiniumperson

Post by londiniumperson »

Here are the details on the wheel spacers which I used with the standard Factory 17” wheel:
  • Front Wheel: 6.5Jx17 ET55 5x114,3 Bore 64,1mm
  • Rear Wheel: 7.5Jx17 ET50 5x114,3 Bore 64,1mm
  • Front Tyres: 205/45ZR17
  • Rear Tyres: 225/45ZR17
  • Wheel Nut Thread Size: M12 x 1.5
  • Wheel Fasteners: Lug nuts (19mm socket required)
Spacers
  • Make: H&R
  • Type: TRAK+ EBH-DRM
  • Part Numbers:
    • 4065640 (20mm each spacer=40mm total)
    • 5065640 (25mm each spacer=50mm total)
These H&R spacers include everything required.
Eibach also make identical spacers, however there were longer lead times of this make at the time of purchase which is why I ended up purchasing H&R spacers.
On fitting I noticed a little binding as I torqued up the wheel nuts (120Nm), but they did all pull onto the spacer face fully.
It could be OK to go 5mm wider front & rear, however it might look odd. I measured, double checked & then double, double checked before purchase of the above.
I checked after re-fitting the wheels & there was still clearance on the suspension arms & bodywork, and I've never had any issues in the last 3 months since fitting.

Hers's a photo of one the fitted spacers (yes, that's rust on the disc):

WheelSpacerFitted.jpg

This is the before (i.e. standard):

Standard.JPG

This is with the spacers:

WithSpacers.jpg

2022 Advance in Crystal Black Pearl on 17's - 08/2020-Current
2015 VW Tiguan (Pure White) - 04/2018-Current
1991 Honda Beat PP1 (Festival Red) - 11/2022-Current

Malcs

Post by Malcs »

Many thanks for that. Did you find a noticeable difference in handling and how did your insurance company accept the mods?
londiniumperson

Just contact your insurance company because everybody's circumstances are different.
I contacted the insurance company (LV) before I went ahead and it was only an additional £6 for the remaining 9 months of the policy.
As for handling I think there's a little bit of kickback over rough surfaces, other than that I didn't notice any difference, modern cars with fly by wire controls remove a lot of the feel/feedback anyway. I can't see how the average person would be able to notice much difference on normal roads even with spirited driving. You'd need to perform tests on the limit in exactly the same conditions on exactly the same road before and after; realistically this would have to be on a race track.
Last edited by londiniumperson on Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
milligoon

Post by milligoon »

How much extra crap do you get thrown up on the bodywork now?
Ex e owner
londiniumperson

milligoon wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:33 pm How much extra crap do you get thrown up on the bodywork now?
It was quite bad before anyway, possibly because mine is black and seems to look dirty after a full clean without even driving it, though I do make every effort to avoid the dog eggs & road apples as much as possible.
hondaRee

Post by hondaRee »

Has this affected range at all? The wheels poke out more and therefore introduce more drag but I wonder how bad is it
stzrd

Post by stzrd »

Recently fitted wheel spacers on mine, I came across your post which was useful to see some photos of them on the car.

I used 20mm front spacers and 25mm rear spacers from Eibach, although there were some issues that I ran into.

With the 17" wheels (the same as in the pictures) the 20mm spacers actually caused the original wheel studs to interfere with the rear face of the wheel. The problem is that 20mm does not give enough clearance for the spacers to sit flush against the hub without the original studs touching the back of the wheel. I actually noticed this as I started to torque the wheels up. I did manage to fix the issue by making some modifications to the pockets in the back of the wheel.

Maybe Honda slightly changed the design of the alloy, specifically the surface that meets the disc / hub, but it's worth checking next time you have the wheels off! I know of another person who says they have not had this problem. Theres also a YouTube video somewhere which also highlights the issue, but they are using the 16" wheels.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post